New OpenID look for MediaWiki

OpenID logoI’ve done some integration of OpenID selector into MediaWiki OpenID extension and some fixing/improvements of the latter.

You can see changes on TPr, MWW and SharingButtons.

Next week will take a look into checking it back in. Still need to figure out if I can check in BSD code (selector) into MW tree or need to write something similar (I’m even thinking about creating something like SharingButtons, but for OpenID providers) and release with GPL.

OpenID and memcached

Did some maintenance on my projects – added OpenID support to wikis:

Also working on embedding OpenID selector – check Sharing Buttons OpenID login page (still needs some work, but quite promising).

Also changed all wikis and blogs to use memcached instead of APC for cache storage – it seems to be much more efficient.

New name

While walking to work early today I came up with the name for my blog – “Binary Orders of Magnitude”. I think it’s a good name for personal blog and sounds very big and global as all blog names should sound as all of us live to accomplish something big. Plus it has some geekish humor to it ;)

Hope you enjoy it – let me know what you think.

Web Performance talk at NY Web Standards Meetup

The New York Web Standards MeetupI’m giving a talk about Web Performance at NY Web Standards Meetup on March 19th.

I’ll talk about the performance of Web applications and sites in general, why it matters and what can be done to improve it. Presentation covers both front and back-end performance, with emphasis on the front-end and it will be useful for everyone from designers to system administrators.

General understanding of web development is required, but a wide range of performance tuning techniques, available to every skill level, will be covered.

I’ll be happy to see you there, but you need to RSVP – only 10 seats left already, so you better hurry.

Google Gadgets on your wiki

Finally, I spent some time researching Google Gadgets implementation
and implemented it successfully as MediaWiki widget:

Previously I had some issues with it as there was no control over the
values in the URLs without escaping them, but Gadget wizard didn’t
really allow to easily copy unescaped values for the URL. To avoid
this problem, I added new feature to the Widgets extension to support
validation of parameters without escaping them so to use Google Gadgets widget, you’ll have to upgrade your installation to version 0.8.3:

This dramatically expands the amount of widgets/gadgets you can install on your wiki – previously there were only Widgetbox widgets getting which required much more hassle and relied on the user account to be created on Widgetbox site which in my view reduced adoption.

So go to Google Gadgets catalog and grab what you like:

As always, help is available at or just post your comments here.